Prince of Peace has one “blended” worship service on Sunday mornings at 10:30 AM.
We include both traditional music and liturgy, along with video and more modern additions. Formal and informal attire is acceptable—whatever makes you feel comfortable. We celebrate the Lord’s Supper monthly, usually on the first Sunday of the month.
Childcare for little ones age 4 and under is available in our nursery playroom during worship. Children up to age 7 are offered Bible Talk & Play in the nursery at 10:30 AM. Older children and ‘tweens are offered opportunities, in addition to Faith 5, to learn about discipleship through child-chosen service projects, and to learn about the Bible and faith through art, performing skits/plays in worship, and being a part of the worship leadership team. Children over 7 are also given worksheets in worship to help them learn more from the service.
What is Faith 5? Using five easy steps, Faith 5 is designed to strengthen our faith, knowledge of Scripture, and connections to the church community through inter-generational spiritual development. Each week you will be given the citations for the biblical texts on which the Pastor will preach the following Sunday, along with worksheets to help you study the lesson with your children, spouse, friends, and/or loved ones. On Sunday mornings, we will then bring the exercises into the large church community in two new ways:
- Sharing time before worship – From 10:00-10:20 AM every Sunday before worship, you are invited to come to the sanctuary to share your highs and lows for the week with other members of our church family. You do not have to share, but this is a time to better understand what we all are going through and support one another in faith. After the sharing, we will have a time of prayer to address the highs and lows and prepare our hearts and minds for the Holy Spirit to speak to us and work through us in worship.
- Discussion time after worship – After the Pastor has shaken everyone’s hands following worship, you are invited to get your refreshments and bring them back into the sanctuary for a time of discussion about the Scripture lessons and/or the sermon. Do you have questions about what the Pastor said about the text? Did you get something different out of it during your weekly study? This is a chance for all of us to learn from one another. The discussion time will end by noon.
 Faith 5 steps are:
1) Share your highs and lows
2) Read a Bible verse or story
3) Discuss how the Bible reading might relate to your highs and lows
4) Pray for one another’s highs and lows
5) Bless one another
 Both the sharing time and discussion time are inter-generational events. We want to learn what the young people in our church think and feel, and they can learn from the discipleship experience of their elders. Small children are welcome to crawl around the sanctuary during the conversation, or go to the nursery. Care will be available starting at 10:00 AM and following worship.
**Special Worship Services – In the handful of months per year when there are five Sundays, we will offer a special 5th Sunday Dialogue Church. These services will not be like our traditional service. Instead of a sermon, there will be a dialogue. There will also be opportunities to affirm our faith and interact with each other. There will still be music, liturgy, and learning from the Word of God, but we will also be learning from each other. This service may stretch some people to step out of their comfort zones a bit, but it will empower us all to take a greater role in our spiritual development, and will be fun for all ages. The date for the next
5th Sunday Dialogue Church is 12/30/18, and there are four dates in 2019: 3/31, 6/30, 9/29, and 12/29.
Based on book Let’s Kill Sunday School (before it kills the church) by Dr. Rich Melheim & friends, Pastor Elizabeth paraphrased Dr. Melheim’s message in her September 9th sermon (2018): ‘We need to go back to the way we were taught—the Deuteronomy way we were taught, the ancient ways we were taught—and make faith relevant and interesting and interactive, not just an intellectual endeavor. Faith works best when the generations are mixed together, not segregated by age, like Sunday School used to be—you know, send the kids out and the parents worshiped; you need to bring everybody together. You need to introduce faith, not just an hour on Sunday morning but throughout the week, and then you need to combine worship and education together in interactive ways.”
Start daily in your home and then join us on Sunday mornings.
We love music of all kinds at Prince of Peace. Contact Music director Suzann Barthold if you would like more information about our music program, or if you would like to join one of the music ministries. You don’t have to be an expert, read music, or be a member in order to join us. Among the groups you can participate in are:
- Our Sanctuary Choir rehearses on Thursdays, 7:30-9:00 PM.
- Our Bell choir, the “Boyles Memorial Ringers,” rehearses on Wednesdays, 7:30-9:00 PM.
Children and Youth:
- In the past, we have offered “Nova Ringers,” a Bell Choir for youth (grade 4 and above).
- We have a Baroque Ensemble which performs occasionally in worship as well as lots of opportunities for individual instrumentalists to enhance our Sunday Morning worship. Our youth are encouraged to participate as soloists and in ensembles.
- In addition to our Sunday morning worship services, we offer special services during the holy seasons, Wholeness services quarterly, weddings (straight and same-sex), and funerals. For more information on these special services, contact the Pastor.